Friday, July 16, 2010

Stomach virus = skin problems

Well, if there was any doubt in my mind that my skin is tied to my digestive system it is now gone.  I had a horrible stomach bug last weekend and was unable to take any of my supplements/vitamins.  I also basically didn't eat for 3 days.  My skin all over is a mess--not a bad one but a mess nonetheless.  The itching on my scalp reached epic proportions and I've got bumps everywhere and a breakout on my face.  It could definitely be worse but it shows the importance of what I eat. 

I have found that my scalp itches worse when my calcium drops. As soon as I could hold down food I started my calcium supplements back and the itching improved drastically.  I guess losing all the nutrients in my body while sick set me back.  More than ever, though, this shows me that it's more important what goes in my body than what I put on it.  All the scalp-soothing shampoo in the world wouldn't help until I started replenishing my nutrients internally. 

I have also noticed that my face has been much oilier since my illness.  My best guess is that I haven't yet recovered from the dehydration.  The oil supplement on it's own doesn't seem to be enough.  I am making a greater effort to hydrate myself in the hopes that it will make a difference.  Hmm...that's an interesting theory.  I had never noticed before but it would be interesting to note if my skin seems oilier whenever I don't drink enough water.  It makes since that a dehydrated system would lead to dry skin so I suppose that's why the experts say drinking lots of water is good for your skin.  I could never figure out that connection. 

Well, I'm off to get a bottle of water...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any tips or experiences to share, please feel free!