Monday, July 19, 2010

Break out the soapbox!

A situation was brought to my attention recently that has brought up a couple of things I'd like to talk about.  The situation involves an infant with a skin rash whose mother has been alternately dismissed and degraded by various pediatricians.  After much determination she is on the road to answers but still a ways from a solution.  Her experiences are what have induced me to drag out my soapbox. 

Please, please, please be an advocate for your health and the health of your children!  It's easy to fall into the trap of believing your doctor knows all but that can be dangerous.  Do your own research, ask questions, and don't agree to anything that makes you uncomfortable deep down.  A good doctor (of any variety) will listen to you and your concerns, not talk down to you and berate you if you question their advice.  And keep in mind their counsel is just that--advice.  If what a doctor tells you doesn't make sense then ask why he or she thinks that way.  I have been to doctors who tell me I have a virus and then hand me a prescription for antibiotics.  When I ask why (since antibiotics do nothing for viruses and can have harmful consequences) if they can't give me a reasonable explanation or if they get upset about it, I know to not take the medicine and start looking for a different doctor.  I have been to great doctors who listen to me and include me in the diagnosing process--have had conversations that are 2 way rather than a one-sided lecture--and that is a magnificent thing.  I don't like the patronizing and sugar-coating of many doctors.  There are so many resources out there to help you become an informed patient--use them!  : )  There's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. 

Ok, stepping down from my soapbox now.  : )

The other thing I wanted to mention is some all-natural remedies that I learned about from a wonderfully knowlegdgeable employee at a local Whole Foods market.  Based on anecdotal evidence from customers and her own knowledge of homeopathic remedies, she recommended several products for kids with eczema or other skin problems.

B&T Florasone Cream: it's basically a homeopathic version of hydrocortisone cream but without the cortisone.  She said a bunch of parents swear by it.

Dead sea salts: they are great in a bath to help soothe and heal irritated skin

Calendula oil: there is a variety in a base of olive oil that is particularly moisturizing and soothing

Barlean's Omega Twin: I've recommended the Essential Woman variety but the Omega Twin has borage oil instead of Evening Primrose so it is not female specific.  She said borage oil is fabulous for eczema sufferers

Probiotics: since the skin is our first line of defense these can help boost the immune system and provide some relief and back up for our over-worked organ

***She also recommended tossing the Aquaphor that most of us parents have come to rely on for any skin irritation we see on a baby.  It is petroleum based and that is bad for the skin.  I know firsthand that petroleum-based products can be addictive (I had a vicious Lip Smackers addiction for years) but she pointed out that the Aquaphor is a great protectant but it doesn't let the skin breathe, therefore it cannot heal.  That certainly gave me something to think about!

So, for what it's worth, there is my 50 cents for the day.  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any tips or experiences to share, please feel free!