Monday, June 14, 2010

How random people have helped me more than doctors.

SLS sensitivity
First of all, thanks to the internet for providing a wealth of information. I used to have a problem with itching all over after showering. Painful, pins and needles kind of itching. It was worse if I showered in the morning or during the day than after a nighttime shower. So I googled "itching after showering" and was instantly bombarded by page after page of people talking about just that! After reading all the various things people had to say I decided the most likely reason was a sensitivity to SLS (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate), which is found in...well, just about every cleansing product out there. I bought SLS-free body wash and voila! no more post-bathing itching. My skin is much less sensitive overall now that I am no longer washing with something that destroys the skin's protective layer.

A Facial to Remember
I got a special spa gift card awhile back and one of the services was a facial. I was hesitant because facials have always be painful to my sensitive skin and then everything gets worse before it gets better. Well not this time! I asked if I should even do it at all while I was so broken out (this was early May and the acne was still off and on) and she said, "Definitely!" I left looking better than I went in, redness and pain diminished. And I only improved from there. Here is what I learned from her:
*Dry hands to dry face--apply cleanser to a dry face not a wet one.
*Use a chamois--washcloths are too harsh, even if they feel soft. She sold me a wonderful bacteria-resistant synthetic chamois-thing that really helps get all the grime and make up off at the end of the day.
*You need oil, but the right kind--she said my biggest problem was seriously dry skin. So I switched to a moisturizer with plant oils and started taking an oil supplement to get the necessary internal lubrication that filters out through the skin.

Barlean's Essential Woman
This is a variation of the oil supplement that the aesthetician recommended. It is specially formulated to help regulate a woman's hormones. After taking this for a week I was floored. My always dry skin is dry no longer. This product has made a profound difference in my skin. My face is clearing, I really think my hormones are in better balance, and even the bumps I've always had on my arms and legs are smoothing out and going away. I have been singing the glories of this stuff to everyone!

Black Soap
The eczema-expert friend gave me a sample of black soap so that we could try it out together. We were both impressed by the results. Her itching and swelling has become much, much better, and I am enjoying the smoothness and clean feeling of my skin. Black soap is all natural and known for its ability to help clear skin of numerous problems.

In a nutshell
Here is what I am currently using on my skin:
Face: Shea Terra Organics Black Soap and Rose Hips Facial Cleanser
Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn & Cucumber Facial Toner
Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn & Cucumber Moisturizing Cream
Body: Jason Dandruff Relief Shampoo (wonderfully soothing! and no pine tar!)
Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner
Shea Terra Organics Black Soap bar
Nature's Gate Colloidal Oatmeal Lotion

Coworkers and friends are floored by the way my skin looks now compared to the way it looked in February. If I get really brave I might post then and now photos. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any tips or experiences to share, please feel free!